Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Mia's Opportunities:

I'm thinking two directions for post-graduate school (Which, let's be honest, even feels weird to say. Didn't we just start? Wasn't I just color-coding a binder of potential graduate schools to apply? Yikes.)-- working for a firm, or teaching. I would really love to teach long-term, but I feel like I would be a better teacher (and a more desirable candidate) if I had experience through a design firm first. 

I'm currently looking into product design & graphic design at firms that value multi-disciplinary design, HCD, and design-thinking. (And I'm trying to be realistic about what I can/should apply for.)


First, academics: (I have a long list, but these are my two favorites that I've found so far.) 

School of the Art Institute of Chicago: Full-time Faculty in Visual Communication Design
Auburn University: Assistant Professor of Industrial Design, Full Time, Tenure Track 

Second, firms: 

Umbra: Product designer 
Ziba: Industrial Designer 
Gravity Tank: Industrial Designer (Junior Associate) 
Flowroute, LLC: Art Director/Graphic Design Guru 
Idea Couture: Packaging Designer 
Fabrique, LTD: Industrial Design Manager  (I'm really excited to say that I actually have experience managing designers...) 

I've got a list with more in both realms. I'm a bit hesitant to apply for graphic design jobs in firms (even though I love graphic design and feel qualified for most positions) because coding has become such an important part of being a graphic designer. Everyone wants a designer/developer-- and while I can do fairly minimal HTML/CSS, I think I'd be a deer in the headlights if I had to design a website from scratch on any kind of professional level. 



No comments:

Post a Comment